NS Design's CR Series violin, available in both 4 and 5 string models, is becoming the preeminent electric violin on the market today. Designed by Ned Steinberger, has a remarkable tonal range due to its innovative Polar™ pickup system, which is able to selectively capture the string vibration favored for both bow and pizzicato technique with stunning brilliance and sensitivity. The violinist who prefers the elegant tone of a fine acoustic will not be disappointed, and for those who wish to explore new sonic territory, the sky is the limit.
The solid-body NS Violin incorporates the familiar performance features of an acoustic instrument, including a removable body segment to provide the left-hand reference position of a traditional instrument. Traditional string spacing and scale length facilitate the transition from the acoustic instrument to the world of the electric violin. Direct amplification and recording capabilities allow the violinist to experience the vast range of electronic and amplified performance opportunities, yet continue to savor the essence and timeless magic of the violin.
SOLID MAPLE BODY AND NECK: The NS Violin is crafted of solid maple, with an elegant flame maple face. This lightweight solid-body design transfers the full spectrum of sound to the pickup without feedback, and is very stable even with changes in temperature and humidity. The ergonomic shoulder and chin rest provide comfortable, stable support, and a removable treble side bout is included for left hand position reference. The solid ebony fingerboard is hand graduated for consistent string articulation.
POLAR PICKUPS: The NS Violin features the Polar bridge-mounted piezo pickup system. The Polar pickups can sense either vertical or lateral string vibration. Set in the vertical mode, plucked notes are remarkably even and sustained. In the lateral mode, the pickup has unparalleled sensitivity in the direction of the bow, with more attack when plucked. Attack and decay can be effectively controlled with the Polar pickup system.
ACTIVE ELECTRONICS: The dual mode preamp allows the player to choose between two very distinct tone qualities. The first mode delivers the full frequency response of modern low impedance electronics, for a rich, full-blown "electric violin" sound. The second is balanced to produce the frequency response of the traditional violin, for a more "acoustic" sound. A three-way toggle switch allows the player to select the desired pickup and electronics options. Additional controls include volume and individual bass EQ & treble EQ controls.
PRECISION TUNING HARDWARE: With the NS Design patented tuning system, remarkably precise and stable tuning is accomplished entirely behind the bridge, in the manner similar to the fine tuners of an acoustic instrument. With the elimination of the traditional scroll and pegs, weight is shifted in towards the body of the player for optimum comfort. Any standard violin string will fit the NS Violin, although specially formulated NS Electric strings from D'Addario are recommended.
- Construction: Straight grain solid maple body and neck, with a flamed maple face on body
- Finish: Traditional amber stain with polymer topcoat
- Body reference bout: Black dyed maple bout on treble side provides standard violin reference. Easily removable for unrestricted neck access
- Fingerboard: Fretless ebony
- Bridge: Maple. Integrated Polar piezo pickup system
- Strings: D'Addario Helicore
- Tuning machines: Precision 40:1 fine tuners mounted on the body behind the bridge. Automatic string clamping for quick, easy string changing. Patented tuning mechanism
- Pickup: The Polar directional piezo pickup system responds selectively to either lateral or vertical string vibration. Piezo adjustment is accessible from the outside of instrument. A three-way toggle switch allows the player to select the desired pickup and electronics options. 3 switch positions allow the player different bowed sounds: one switch position delivers the extended frequency response of modern low-impedance electronics for a full-blown electric sound. Another position activates electronic filters to replicate the frequency reponse of the traditional violin for an acoustic sound. The third setting is optimal for pizzicato technique as it captures vertical string vibration.
- Shoulder rest: Ergonomic foam pad support is fully adjustable (up and down and tilt).
- Electronics, mixer, and controls: Active 9-volt preamp by EMG with an internal headphone amp circuit. Mono output jack.
- Treble EQ
- Bass EQ
- Switch for Polar pickup
- Up — vertical string vibration (pizzicato)
- Center — horizontal string vibration for electric bowed sounds
- Down — horizontal string vibration for acoustic bowed sounds
Description$599.00 Add to cart
Stereo AC /DC Portable Amplifier
Description$279.99 Add to cart
40-watt 3 Channel Keyboard / PA Amplifier
Description$139.99 Add to cart
Programmable Strobe Tuner
Description$29.99 Add to cart
Chromatic Tuner and Contact Microphone
Description$28.95 Add to cart
Ukulele / Violin Stand with Bag
Description$25.00 Add to cart
Gift Certificate (may be purchased in multiple amounts)
Description$16.95 Add to cart
20 foot Instrument Cable