Creating an instrument with your own hands is the part of the true enjoyment of an analog synthesizer. The MS-20 Kit lets you obtain a real, full-sized MS-20 by assembling it yourself. It goes without saying that, just like the MS-20 mini released in January 2013, the engineers who developed the original MS-20 have overseen this project - ensuring that its historic sound is reproduced with complete fidelity. In addition, the MS-20 Kit provides the filters from both the early and late versions of this classic instrument and it even allows you to switch between them. Today, 36 years after this historic instrument was first unveiled in 1978, the MS-20 returns to its true origin.
A full-size MS-20 that you can assemble yourself
The MS-20 Kit is a kit that lets you obtain a real MS-20 by assembling the parts according to the directions in the owner's manual. Most of the steps are simply a matter of tightening screws or fitting parts together, so you don't need to know about soldering or electronic circuitry. Beyond any doubt, the analog sound generated by the MS-20 that you yourself completed will sound more valuable than that of any other synthesizer.
Unlike the MS-20 mini, the MS-20 Kit is a full-size unit with a standard-sized keyboard, and the plugs are also full sized 1/4" phone plugs.
Two types of filter are provided: both the early and later versions
The original MS-20 used different VCF circuits depending on the date of production. Units produced in the earlier period used a filter noted for its distinctive distortion and self-oscillation, while the filter used in later units was a low-noise design with a more mellow character.
Amazingly, this new MS-20 Kit provides both filters. You can switch between the two by moving a jumper pin on the circuit board according to your taste or needs.
Overseen by the engineers of the original MS-20; a complete replication of the original analog circuitry
Just like the MS-20 mini, development of the MS-20 Kit was led by the original engineers themselves, who spared no effort to perfectly replicate the circuitry of the original unit. When it was necessary to substitute a part, the engineers made the decision based on their own ears, ensuring that the exact sound of the original unit has been reproduced. In fact, the sound of the MS-20 kit has a somewhat bright and extreme quality to it because its sound is that of an original MS-20 in mint condition at the time it went on sale, before any of the components aged.
2VCO / 2VCF / 2VCA / 2EG / 1LFO structure
The MS-20 kit reproduces the distinctive synthesis of the MS-20; two oscillators with ring modulation, and envelope generators with hold and delay.
External signal processor (ESP) for processing an external signal
The ESP carries on the experimental spirit of MS-20; it allows you to use the pitch or volume of an external audio source to control the synthesizer. For example, you can input an electric guitar and use the MS-20 kit as a guitar synthesizer, or input a mic and use it as a vocal synthesizer.
Extremely flexible patching system
The patching system provided to the right of the panel lets you create complex sounds by plugging-in cables to change the connections between the various units. The possibilities are limited only by the user's imagination; different combinations of the modulation input/output and trigger, sample and hold, and noise generator can produce an incredible variety of sounds. By patching according to the MS-20 flow chart that's printed on the panel, even the beginner can start taking advantage of these possibilities right away.
- A full-size MS-20 that you can assemble yourself
Both the early and late versions of the filter are provided
Overseen by the engineers of the original MS-20;
a complete replication of the original analog circuitry:
- 2VCO / 2VCA / 2VCF / 2EG / 1LFO structure
- External signal processor (ESP)
- Extremely flexible patching system
- MIDI IN and USB connector
- Powered by an AC adapter
- Replicates every detail of the original, down to the
- package binding and the included manual
Package contents of the MS-20 Kit
- Front panel, Rear panel, Bottom panel, L-shaped bracket(x 2), Left side pane, Right side panel, Left side shield, Right side shield, Panel support, Knob (large) (x 7), Knob (small) (x 29), Rubber bushing (x 10), Rubber feet (x 4), Cord hook, Nut 12 mm - shiny (x 36), Washer (x 36), Screw (x 36), Nut 11 mm – matte (x 30), Nut 11 mm – shiny (x 6), Keyboard unit, Wheel unit, Rear jack circuit board unit, Left panel circuit board, Right panel circuit board & VR circuit board (small), VR circuit board (large), Power supply circuit board, Box-end wrench (included)
- Keyboard: C – C: 37-key (3 octaves)
- Main Controller: Control wheel (center click), Momentary switch -->GND
- Input/Output: Signal input (Monoral Phone Jack), Signal output (Monoral Phone Jack, 2V p-p output impedance 3.5k Ω), Head phones output (Stereo Phone Jack, 33 Ω 48mW), DC12V, MIDI IN, USB(Type B)
- Power Consumption: 9W
- Power Supply: DC12V
- Dimensions: (W x D x H) 573 × 316 × 248 mm / 22.56 x 12.44 x 9.76 inches
- Weight: 6.3 kg / 13.89 lbs.
- Accessories: AC adaptor (12V/1.5A), Patch Cord x 10
Description$1,299.99 Add to cart
1U Motif XS Synth Tone Generator Module
Description$499.99 Add to cart
Digital Desktop Synth Module with Analog Modeling
Description$499.00 Add to cart
Analog Bass Synth Module
Description$289.00 Add to cart
Moogerfooger Lowpass Filter
Description$99.00 Add to cart
25 Key USB Controller w/ Analog Lab Software
Description$69.00 Add to cart
Professional Monitor Headphones
Description$25.00 Add to cart
Gift Certificate (may be purchased in multiple amounts)
Description$7.95 Add to cart
10 Foot MIDI Cable, 5-pin DIN to 5-pin DIN